Jan 28, 2009

Ninety East Ridge

Akung's cremation is on Friday. One of my fond memories of him is seeing him sitting down reading newspapers, with a cup of black coffee on his side. So I'm typing this in memory of him.

I'm a bookworm. As my body needs food for nourishment, so does my mind needs feeding. From Natural Geographic to Asterix and Obelix, from books about cats to books about music, from Bible to cooking books, I read anything that takes my fancy.

"Ninety East Ridge" by Stephen Reilly is the latest fiction I've just finished reading.

Here's the blurb from the book's cover:

"In the middle of the Indian Ocean, the biggest, most ambitious engineering project in history is under way. In this hole in the ocean, Anna Spires and her elite team of social architects aim to build a new world, a better world. But while some share Anna's vision of utopia, there are others who believe she must be stopped...

Stephen Reilly's sweeping debut novel is a love story, a globetrotting adventure and a daring commentary of the choices we face, the choices we make and the choices we have no control over. It is a novel for the new millennium."

The book is set in Australia, somewhere at the far side of Fremantle, Western Australia. Not surprising, really, considering it's written by a Sydney born author.

At first I was a bit skeptical when I realized that he is the brother of the popular Australian action thriller author: Matthew Reilly. My skepticism was unfounded, I love the book! It's one of those books that could make me stay up until 2am, sacrificing my beauty sleep, because I so wanted to know what happens next.

Don't let the blurb fool you. Yes, the story is "framed" as a love story. Trust me, it's nothing like one of those disgusting soppy love story that I don't like. To me the book is more about the adventure of venturing to the unknown, about Anna Spires trying to realize her childhood dreams in building the "perfect" world. About dogged determinations to achieve what you set out to do. And the power of choices.

My verdict? True food for thoughts.

Book info:

ISBN 073291146X

First published in 2002

by Pan Macmillan Australia Pty Limited

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.